[Mesorah] mis-accentuation

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 03:30:15 PST 2017

I had written that the common tune for the beginning of Alenu is
accented perfectly. I was wrong. Many thanks to someone who corrected
me off-list.

Prior to sending that post, I sang it quietly several times, while
looking carefully in the ArtScroll, and still I did not notice that
<<< the tune includes the mistaken accentuations KOr'im. ham'LOCHim,
haKOdosh and BOruch. >>>

This supports what others have posted, that sometimes, we become so
accustomed to the tune that it can be difficult to spot these errors.

I also noticed that all four of these exceptions are in the last line
of the section that I had referred to. In other words, they all come
after the missing "Shehem" sentence. I can't help but wonder if the
tune originally went only up to "k'khol hamonam", and then this line
was added later.

Akiva Miller