[Mesorah] mis-accentuation

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Wed Dec 20 20:10:35 PST 2017

That's another tune from Sulzer.

Soloman Sulzer (who wrote the Shema, and the Aleinu of which you
speak), and I think also Louis Lewandowski -- Reform cantors from
Europe in mid-1800's -- were (if I understand correctly) fairly
medakdik regarding fitting music to the texts in an appropriate
manner.  Lewandowski wrote the popular tune for Friday night
kiddush.  (And a l'cha dodi that was popular until the 1950's . . .
it, too, adhered to correct accents).

(I wonder if the "original" Sulzer full-version of the Aleinu of
which you speak was accurate?)

There is a class of songs called "mi-sinai", which, of course,
doesn't mean mi sinai literally, but refer to the oldest tunes we
know of in Ashkenazic tradition (middle ages -- kol nidrei perhaps is
one).  I wonder if, along with what RAM just noted, if many/most/all
of those songs adhere to correct accents.