[Mesorah] mis-accentuation

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 18:47:36 PST 2017

In my experience, the older a tune is, the more likely that it puts
the accent on the correct syllables. A great example is the tune used
in many shuls for Alenu. As a child of the 1960s, we sang from the
first word until the middle of the first paragraph. (Up to and
including HKBH, but omitting the line "shehem") As far as I can tell,
every word there is accented perfectly. At some point - in the 70s or
80s? - people extended that tune to cover the entire first paragraph.
They succeeded at continuing the melody, but the accents are all
wrong.

Akiva Miller