[Mesorah] mis-accentuation (was: 'Tis Chanukka)

Henry Topas hanktopas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 12:13:52 PST 2017

Thank you all for the back and forth which I find both fascinating and
informative and which reminds me of my days in yeshiva (Mesivta of Miami in
the 1960's)

We had a phenomenal faculty including the likes of the Rosh Yeshiva, the
late Rabbi Abraham Groner ZTL, Rabbi Alexander Gross ZTL, the Dean of the
School, and Rabbi Berel Wein.

For Hebrew language, we had Rabbi Shimon Azoulai ZTL who was born in Israel
and served in Lehi.

On the first day of class, he would ask the bochurim  "Ma Achalta L'Aruchat
Haboker?"  At that point, one of the the "keeners' in the first row would
raise his hand and be selected to answer.

I recall one such answer was "Ani Achalti BEItzim"  At which point Rabbi
Azoulai would laugh hysterically and tell the student that the experience
must have been quite painful, Followed by an explanation of the distinction
between BEItzim and beiTZIM.

As has been mentioned in this chain, for k'riat hatorah, the trop and the
presence of the meteg give us a fairly good roadmap for proper emphasis but
for T'filah, often we find poetic license interfering with milrah and
mil-eil.  It should never interfere with phrasing the words in a fashion
which would alter the proper intended meaning.

Kol Tov and an enjoyable end to Zot Chanukah!

Henry Topas
Montreal