[Mesorah] mis-accentuation (was: 'Tis Chanukka)

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Wed Dec 20 11:40:33 PST 2017

Anyone who tries to pronounce anything carefully gets funny looks.  You should see the looks I get from the poor people with whom I am davvening shacharis when they hear me actually saying the words in p'suqqei d'zimrah, forget about my abominable pronunciation.   It is as if there is a g'zerat hakkatuv that says you are not supposed to say the words.

I tend to agree with Groucho/Julius Henry Marx in this matter.  To paraphrase, I prefer not to join any shul that would have me as a davvener!

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel