[Mesorah] mis-accentuation (was: 'Tis Chanukka)

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 10:21:25 PST 2017

RSS replied to RDrAW:
> certainly, the tunes will be a strong force to perpetuate the
mis-accentuation ... a lot of is simply that one learns pronunciation, for
the most part, by what one hears (mimeticsm) <
I argue that the tune should be tweaked to fit the words, not vice versa;
but it would seem that *chazanim* disagree :).

RGD asked:
> anyone have a tune for shir hamaalos before bircas hamazon with
some/any/most of the words can be pronounced correctly? <
I do, but I don't use it very often :).