[Mesorah] sh'va na and nach

Jeremy Rosenbaum Simon jeremy.simon at nyu.edu
Sun Dec 3 06:48:55 PST 2017

Only the feminine forms take a shva nach, because it is needed to explain
the dagesh in the tav. For the masculine forms there is no mesorah to have
a shva nach under the shin.
Jeremy

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Akiva Miller via Mesorah <
mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> I know that there is a general rule that if the first letter of a word has
> a sh'va, then it is a sh'va na. I also know that various forms of the word
> "two" are exceptions to this rule, as the leading shin gets sh'va nach.
>
> My question is: Does this apply to all forms of this word (shnayim,
> shtayim, shnay, shtay) or only to some of them?
>
> I realize that someone is going to respond along the lines of "There
> aren't any rules; it's just how people talk", but still, I'd like to know
> what patterns you know of.
>
> Thanks
> Akiva Miller

Jeremy R. Simon, MD, PhD, FACEP
Associate Professor of Medicine at CUMC (Emergency Medicine)
Columbia University
Editor, The Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Medicine
*https://www.routledge.com/products/9781138846791
<https://www.routledge.com/products/9781138846791>*