[Mesorah] sh'va na and nach

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Dec 3 06:46:51 PST 2017

On the contrary, there are rules and discussions which show that there was a divergence of opinion between different early sources on the status of the word.  Some pronounced it always nach, even to the point of adding an anaptyctic vowel and pronouncing the word eshtayim.  Some did not.  Both agreed that it was a dagesh qal.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org