[Mesorah] sh'va na and nach

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 06:42:25 PST 2017

I know that there is a general rule that if the first letter of a word has
a sh'va, then it is a sh'va na. I also know that various forms of the word
"two" are exceptions to this rule, as the leading shin gets sh'va nach.

My question is: Does this apply to all forms of this word (shnayim,
shtayim, shnay, shtay) or only to some of them?

I realize that someone is going to respond along the lines of "There aren't
any rules; it's just how people talk", but still, I'd like to know what
patterns you know of.

Thanks
Akiva Miller