[Mesorah] sh'va na and nach

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 4 07:43:04 PST 2017

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 09:42:25AM -0500, Akiva Miller via Mesorah wrote:
: I know that there is a general rule that if the first letter of a word has
: a sh'va, then it is a sh'va na. I also know that various forms of the word
: "two" are exceptions to this rule, as the leading shin gets sh'va nach.

I know you asked about the exception of "shtei", but I wanted to try to
share an epiphany.

A sheva nach means that the letter closes a syllable. And so these rules
of sheva's are also viewable as rules of open (vowel-ending) vs closed
(consonant ending) syllables. "Syllabification", if I have the term
correctly.

Hebrew can only have a closed syllable at the end of a word or with a
sheva nach. (Or in the case of a khaf peshutah, both.)

Eg, we would rephrase the above rule as being but a subset of a more
general statement: Hebrew has no vowel-less syllables. So, if a first
letter has a sheva, it would perforce be given a vowel sound.

Shtei is a rarity, in that it is one syllable opening with a two-consonant
cluster.

: I realize that someone is going to respond along the lines of "There aren't
: any rules; it's just how people talk", but still, I'd like to know what
: patterns you know of.

If there weren't any rules, would the Mesoretic notes list their exceptions?

Micha Berger             None of us will leave this place alive.
micha at aishdas.org        All that is left to us is
http://www.aishdas.org   to be as human as possible while we are here.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Anonymous MD, while a Nazi prisoner