[Mesorah] (Mesorah) Vowels under YKVK

David and Esther Bannett via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 10 12:22:25 PDT 2016

R' Seth commented as below on "Vowels under YKVK":
> What is strange about it?
> The sh'va under the lamed is silent.
> the sh;va under the aleph has its usual meaning, that the first letter
> of Adnus is pronounced with a chataf patach and is not silent.
I think a bit of explanation is required.  As there is no lamed in YHVH,
R' Seth is not speaking about all YHVHs.  He is speaking about Halashem
tigm'lu zot in Ha'azinu and is saying that the first syllable is Hal
where the sh'va is nach or silent.  The first letter of the Shem is
pronounced with a sh'va na' which, as in most cases, has a slight "a"
sound and therefore the patach next to the sh'va.

I think that R' Seth's ending, that the alef  "is not silent" is a slip
of the mind.  How can an alef be silent at the beginning of a word?

GCh"T,

David