[Mesorah] (Mesorah) Vowels under YKVK

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 10 12:35:28 PDT 2016

it  was not exactly a slip of the pen, although I am prone to those as well.  I wanted to exclude the cases when the aleph comes after a l- or b-, where most of the time the masorah shows it is not pronounced.  For instance, in T'hillim 149:1 (included in p'sukei d'zimrah) there is no sh'va under the yod of YKVK, because the word it to be pronounced lado--, not la'ado--.  Most people don't notice the difference.
But it is always a fargenigung and a zechus for me to received a correction or suggestion by R. David, even if I don't consider it a mistake.
May we all be zokhe to a year of m'hila, s'licha and kapparah (as the Teimanim say) or a gut gebentsht yohr, as speakers of that European language say, and a year of health, happiness and shalom.
And, since the Rambam is clear that talking about the details of Hebrew is part of limmud Torah, discussing this is an entirely appropriate way to have some talmud Torah and its incalculable merits.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org