[Mesorah] Why is the guy's name Bigsan and not Bigtan?

Micha Berger via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 23 03:04:19 PDT 2016

On 2016-03-23 12:16 am, via Mesorah wrote:

> My husband, Michael Katz, wants to know why Bigsan in the Megillah isn't Bigtan.  Why isn't there a dagesh in the sav/tav of his name?  My husband thinks that after a shva nach (under the gimel) the next letter should have a dagesh in it, as for example in the name Ester.  To me this seems a very Litvishe concern, where others might be wondering something more interesting, like who was Bigsan anyway and why did he want to bump off Achashverosh?  But never mind, we'll just stick to Mesorah territory.  Anybody know why Bigsan isn't Bigtan?  Thank you.

First reaction: Do transliterations need to conform to the rules of
grammar? Maybe the original simply had a _thav_ sound there, for reasons
of its own language norms.

_Tir'u baTov_!

Micha Berger             Here is the test to find whether your mission
micha at aishdas.org        on Earth is finished:
http://www.aishdas.org   if you're alive, it isn't.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Richard Bach