[Mesorah] Why is the guy's name Bigsan and not Bigtan?

via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Mar 22 21:16:37 PDT 2016

My husband, Michael Katz, wants to know why Bigsan in the Megillah  isn't
Bigtan.  Why isn't there a dagesh in the sav/tav of his  name?  My husband
thinks that after a shva nach (under the gimel) the next  letter should have a
dagesh in it, as for example in the name Ester.  To me  this seems a very
Litvishe concern, where others might be wondering something  more
interesting, like who was Bigsan anyway and why did he want to bump off  Achashverosh?
But never mind, we'll just stick to Mesorah territory.   Anybody know why
Bigsan isn't Bigtan?  Thank you.

--Toby Katz
_t613k at aol.com_ (mailto:t613k at aol.com)
_tobykatz613 at gmail.com_ (mailto:tobykatz613 at gmail.com)