[Mesorah] Masoretic Issues that Intrigue me - Hallel

David and Esther Bannett via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 8 00:53:00 PDT 2016

I, too, find controversies interesting, but I think we have to look at
them a bit differently.  We should be  trying to find the girsa most
likely to be the "correct" one. That is, the oldest, or that found in
the most accepted of the ancient sources.

In the examples from hallel I don't see any controversy as it is quite
obvious which is the  "correct" version. Just Google "Aleppo codex",
click on "read the...", go to tehillim and look.  The Keter and all the
accurate manuscripts as well as the Venice Mikraot Gedolot (1625) agree
on the same versions.  Merhav Yah is two words with mappik in the hei.
Hoshi'a is mi'lra and all four na' have a dagesh in the nun. You might
have a Tanakh with the Leningrad text. Take a look there.

All the old accurate sources agree.  The so called controversy started
many years later.  The Minhat Shai made the hoshi'a into mil'eil because
of his misinterpreting the mesorot and everyone joined in.  I especially
like the "Medakd'im to read hoshi'a mel'eil and hatzlicha mil'ra.

With all the sources now available and after the work of R' Mordekhai
Breuer and of the academics at the Hebrew University there is not much
room for controversy in the Tanakh.

Why not go over to the siddur. There is where one can find controversy
without end and it is not always obvious what is the version that should
be preferred.

bivrakha,

David