[Mesorah] Bemidbar or Bamidbar? Or something else? in the midrashim

Dov Bloom via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Jun 18 12:49:09 PDT 2016

Looking at divrei haza'l on vayehi binsoa,  nunin hafichim,  (here in the
Holy Land that was the parsha) I came across Breishit Rabba 64:8. (BR being
one of the more ancient midrashim)
... Kneged sefer Bereishit
.... Kneged sefer veEileh Shemot
... Kneged sefer Vayikra
.... Kneged sefer VayDaber
....  Bar kappara avid VayDaber tlata sefarim
....  Kneged Mishne Torah

Very clearly here we find the 'names'  or titles of the 5 humashim in the
time of B Rabba.

The fourth book is VayDaber

See a parallel text in Vayikra Rabba 11:3,  Bar kappara avid min reishei
d'Vaydaber (of the book Vaydaber ) ad vayehi binsoa (the catchphrase at the
beginning  of the verse,  without the prefix " d' ") chad (one book,  out
of his drash that there are seven books)

See also Shabbat 115a for Bar Kappara's drash,  but the titles of the
humashim arent mentioned in the gemara there,  vaydaber may be a catchword.