[Mesorah] Bemidbar or Bamidbar? A proof name

Dov Bloom via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 5 09:57:21 PDT 2016

The second book of the Torah,  even acc'd to r' Zev Sero,  and r' Art
Scroll is probably Shemot,  with a shva,  and not hypercorrected to shaymot
with a tzere (as the hamon does with the fourth book..) . Don minei veUki
b'atrei.
On Jun 5, 2016 19:33, "Zev Sero" <zev at sero.name> wrote:

On 06/05/2016 12:12 PM, Dov Bloom via Mesorah wrote:

> Of course, Bemidbar is correct.  Art Scroll is not.  In the circles I
> run in,  saying the name correctly is a sign a some erudition,  and
> awareness of how words in the tanach are written/punctuated.

Artscroll is correct, and the circles you run in are not.  The fifth word
of the sedra is "b'midbar", but the short title of the sedra and of the
sefer,
is "Bamidbor", with a patoch on the first beis and a komatz on the second.
In older sources you will find a slightly longer title, "Bemidbar Sinai",
which is of course pronounced as it appears.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other