[Mesorah] Melo Khol Ha'aretz Kevodo

Micha Berger via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jan 19 12:28:58 PST 2016

Um, I said the norm for _berakhos_, is for a _chasimah_ to describe
G-d rather than discuss things He does. I SAID NOTHING ABOUT THE HEBREW
LANGUAGE. And that this preference for phrasing _chasimos_ as
descriptions would mean that "_Bonei Y-m_" would be a more likely
_chasimah_ than "_boneh Y-m_" even without AKhG's preference for quoting
Tanakh.

We could discuss whether this would play out in "_haMeikhin
mitz'adei gaver_" rather than "_asher heikhin_." (_Gever_ vs _gaver_
aside.) My sense of the norm for berakhos would advocate for the former.
But in any case, even in the other version there is an "_asher_", making
it a description of Him -- "_asher boneh Yerushalayim_", if you want to
put more hypothetical options AKhG had to choose between on the table.

BTW, question just hit me: Why Tanakh? The canonization process was
FAR from complete in their day. Do we ever find things in the older
parts of the _siddur_ like quotes / paraphrases of Ben Sira or Seifer
haYovelim, or another of the apocrypha -- at least among those "kosher"
enough for Chazal to later quote?

_Tir'u baTov_!

Micha
Berger Here is the test to find whether your mission
micha at aishdas.org
on Earth is finished:
http://www.aishdas.org if you're alive, it
isn't.