[Mesorah] Melo Khol Ha'aretz Kevodo

Ben Kandel via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jan 19 10:34:18 PST 2016

The verbal form in Hebrew that corresponds to the present in English is
generally regarded as a participle, a kind of adjective derived from a
verb.  (See, for example,
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Gesenius%27_Hebrew_Grammar/50._The_Participle
and
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Gesenius%27_Hebrew_Grammar/116._The_Participles.)
 I think this may explain why translating directly into English ("building
of Y-M" etc.) sounds so strange.