[Mesorah] teven

Sholom Simon via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jan 3 11:17:53 PST 2016

I looked through some notes I had from a phone discussion with RSM.  Here
are my notes (which I don't fully understand now, but I think there is a
lot of overlap between the notes and what RMP just said).  Any errors are
mine.  I've also included my own annotation in brackets based on RMP's
response:

===========
The question was a pasuk that ended with "nesech," wondering why is wasn't
"nasach"

RSM's answer: things aren’t always what they seem on the surface.  I.e., he
fell is “hifal”, the nun got dropped.

My king: Melech goes to malki, why isn’t is melechi?

Segolate nouns: two syllables with two segols, accent on first syllable,
but when suffix appaers, second syllable disappears.   E.g., zecher ->
zicrhi; eved -> avdi.  Note that another vowel appears.  Malki has pasach;
zichri has tziri.  Really behind the scenes is that the shoresh of these
words, in the first syllable, it is a pasach (for melech), or a tziri (in
zecher)!

[me: I think the prior sentence was referencing what RMP was calling QaTL
and QiTL segolates]

When it come to a sof posuk, or a suffix, a pasach turns to kamatz (ani,
awni; atah awtah).  Kom to kamti.  But there’s no rule that a segol becomes
a kamatz.  [me: i.e., as RMP said: QtLT segolates don't change on a the
primary pauses]

So, if what we *think* is a segol but is a pasach, it reverts back to a
pasach!  (Another example:  “seed” -- zerah, zari.  So and end of the pasuk
it’s zarah)

Neshech becomes nishki.  It’s a tziri that’s behind the scenes!  [me: i.e.,
neshech is a QiTL segolate]

How do we know that melech is really a pasach?  (Malki – look at the word
with a suffix?).  No other nouns have accent on first syllable!  (Lechem.
Lakmi.)

Me: so, if I'm understanding this correctly, would "my straw" be "tivni" ??

-- Sholom