[Mesorah] teven

Michael Poppers via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 1 10:11:16 PST 2016

The basic explanation I've heard (I'm paraphrasing RGEK in this Leining
thread
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/leining/hxAl32DdPfs/TlHbAjb7cdoJ>)
is that
-- the first vowel of segolates (nouns which have two segol vowels in their
basic form) can change to either a patach or a chiriq when in a possessive
(or conjunctive) form (those whose 1st vowel changes to patach are referred
to as QaTL segolates, while those whose 1st vowel changes to chiriq are
referred to as QiTL segolates); that
-- with a few exceptions, on a major pause the patach of a QaTL's first
segol will change to a qamatz, while no generalization can be made re what
happens to a QiTL's first segol on a major pause; and that
-- "teven" is a QiTL, and re it we don't see the 1st segol change to a
qamatz on a major pause.

A gut'n Shabbes/Shabbas Shalom
and all the best from
*Michael Poppers* * Elizabeth, NJ, USA