[Mesorah] Vav hahipuch

Zev Sero via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 3 20:38:48 PST 2015

On 11/03/2015 08:43 PM, Michael Poppers via Mesorah wrote:
> AFAIK, there's a general dispute (involving RaMBaM at one extreme,
> always correcting, the Sefer haManhig at the other, not correcting
> lest we embarrass, and many /acharonim/ delineating when to or not to
> correct) over whether to correct a /ba'al qriyah/ who makes a mistake
> in meaning

Not "in meaning".   That's already taking one side in the dispute.
The Rambam says the BK should be corrected for *every* mistake, no matter
how trivial.  The Manhig says he should not be corrected, but there's a
dispute over whether he means ever, or only if the meaning is the same.
IIRC, the BY says he means ever but the halacha is not like him, while
the Rama says he means only if the meaning is the same and the halacha
*is* like him, and the Bach says he means ever and the halacha is *still*
like him.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week