[Mesorah] Vav hahipuch

Danny Levy via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Nov 1 10:48:56 PST 2015

There are similar frequent changes of tense in Shirat David, Shmuel II,
22.  Look for example at pesukim 19, 20, 36, 37, 38 and 39.  For the latter
two, the parallel pesukim in Tehillim 18 "correct" the tenses to future
only.
RYD's explanation works nicely here too, or maybe being a song, it is
simply poetic licence.

This leads me to a question: if the Maftir mixes up the vavei hahipuch with
the vavei hachibur when reading Shirat David (and many do), should he be
corrected?

Danny Levy