[Mesorah] Fwd: Accents

Ben Kandel via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jul 2 09:06:57 PDT 2015

A few clarifications:
The root of shatu (STU) is shin-vav-tet (SUT), like "taru" (TUR), not STU
(shin-tet-vav).  So the past/perfect tense would normally be mil'eil, which
is why this instance, which is mil'ra, is unusual (hence Minchat Shai's
comment).

The authoritative version of the Torah is the Keter Aram Soba, which is
supposed to be produced by Ben Asher himself, one of the greatest of the
ba'alei mesorah.  You can access it online at
http://www.aleppocodex.org/homepage.html.  There are several printed
Tanach's that use this text:  The original Breuer edition published by
Mossad Harav Kook, the Simanim version of Tanach (although not, for some
reason, their tikkun, even though it is an excellent tikkun), the Torat
Chaim mikraot gedolot published by Mossad Harav Kook, and the Hebrew
University Keter Tanach.  (Recent versions of the Simanim tikkun make a
note where the Keter is different from other versions in their notes on the
side.)

And since I seem often to be in the position of defending the beleaguered
Ashkenazi pronunciation:  Most of the rules for shva na/nach are sort of
like the rule in English against splitting infinitives:  Arbitrary,
artificial, and unhelpful.  Klal zeh n'kot beyadach: The sheva is intended
to make pronunciation *easier*, not more difficult.  People naturally put
sheva's in between two identical letters and in some other instances, but
certainly not following tenuot gedolot.  And for those of us who do not
geminate our consonants (which is nearly everyone of Ashkenazic
persuasion), there seems to me little reason to insist on a sheva na in
that case also.

Kol tuv

Ben