[Mesorah] Shaarei Yashar or Shaarei Yosher?

Yisrael Dubitsky via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 24 09:52:22 PDT 2015

I dont know what predicated this discussion but, if it hasnt been said
before, it is important to distinguish between what is printed as the title
and how that title is/was meant to be pronounced.
The author clearly writes in his introduction that he is publishing his
hidushim as a memorial to his parents zl: yitshak shemuel and rachel, the
combined rashei teivot of which is yod. shin.resh. (and, he clearly states
as well that the letters also include his own name. so so much for the
anti-humility proponents). there is no vav imagined in the spelling.
Now, in terms of how he would have pronounced the letters, i leave to those
versed in such matters. it might be my imagination but in the hebrewbooks
copy of the original 1928 edition it seems to me that the yod in the
running title of the work often has a holam following it -- and i realize
the shin printed with a right side dot occurs in some of the pages under
the letter in "shaarei" so one may think the dot near the yod in y.s.r
would mean nothing in terms of our question, but, as i said, it may be my
imagination, but the dot occurs more often near the yod than near the shin
of shaarei which suggests perhaps the author indeed intended yosher.