[Mesorah] Hallel

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Fri May 2 07:27:37 PDT 2014

Late last night, I saved some time by referring to a page in
R' M. Breuer's book.  As I don't expect that many have the
book next to their computers, I'll fill in what I omitted
last night.

The Minchat Shai "corrected" the Tanakh because he notes
that "if they were both mil'ra' the Radak and other ba'alei
Mesorah would have mentioned the mil'ra' status of hoshi'a
just as they do mention the mil'ra' status of hatzlicha.
The absence of a mesoretic comment on hoshi'ah made him
change it to mil'eil.

Breuer explains why there is a mesorah on hatzlicha.  The
word occurs twice in the Tanakh, once mil'eil and once
mil'ra'.  It appears in Okhla v'Okhla as one of the twelve
pairs one mil'eil one mil'ra'.

Hoshi'a appears many times, all except this one are mil'eil.
The absence of a mesorah on the exception is not a permit to
change it.  The Keter and all the accurate manuscripts as
well as the much copied Ben Hayyim  Mikraot Gedolot 1625
Venetzia have both words mil'ra' and both nuns dageshed.

David