[Mesorah] Goy Gadol? or Gadol Atzum? Also VeAnita veAmarta

Dov Bloom dovbbb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 09:58:20 PDT 2014

The pair of adjectives 'rav' 'atzum' appears frequently together in tenach.
Often in plural eg Goyim rabim vatzumin. Probably should be understood as a
semantic  unit like 'tov ve yafe' or  lehavdil 'big and tough' 'rough and
ready'.
Shmot 1:9 am bnei yisrael rav veatzum
Yoel 2:2 am rav veatzum
Dvarim 7:1 goyim rabim vatzumin.
Also dvarimb 9:1 11:23
Dvarim 9:14 zecharia 8:22
dvarim 4:38
See also bemidbar 32:1 mikneh rav ... atzum discussed in Perlman Dapei chug
leTaamei hamikra v 2 # 48
I am sure that this fact  affected the taamin which group rav + atzum
together and the tipecha-mafsik on gadol as pointed out by MP.

A similar literal misunderstsnding of a pair of words in the same parasha.
A pair that should be understood as one semantic unit and not two. 'veanita
vamarta' - not two verbs 'answer and say' (because there is no one to
answer there). It means ' lift up your voice and say ' or in better
English with one verb  "Proclaim".
see mechilta derashbi on this pasuk, mentioned in a wonderful tshuva of R
Yechiel Yaacov Weinberg in Sridei Eish