[Mesorah] shuruq pronounced like chiriq

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jun 23 16:59:34 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 08:59:20PM +0100, Allan Engel wrote:
: But they have no problem with people whose tzeirei sounds like a patach,
: hence Elokiiy Avruhom, Elokiiy Yitzchok etc, surely just as problematic.

In one case, I presume we're talking about Ashkenazim whose minhag is
that "ah" is always a patach. Therefore, according to the speaker's
own minhag, that pronunciation is "My Masters". But if the person's
minhag is that a tzeirei and a patach are supposed to sound the same,
the ambiguity is halachically correct. Like sin vs samekh. Or (in most
havaros) tes and tav.

Micha Berger             Like a bird, man can reach undreamed-of
micha at aishdas.org        heights as long as he works his wings.
http://www.aishdas.org   But if he relaxes them for but one minute,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      he plummets downward.   - Rav Yisrael Salanter