[Mesorah] shuruq pronounced like chiriq

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jun 23 06:30:36 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 01:02:23PM +0000, Elazar M. Teitz wrote:
:      To my (admittedly uneducated-in-such-matters) ears, the Galitzianer komatz I pronounced like the Litvishe shuruk in a havara p'sucha, but is indistinguishable from the Litvishe komatz in a havara s'gura.  Thus, it's Avrooham, never Avroohoom.

Truth is that despite my "qootoon", I noticed that too. It's the source of my
theory that originally it was a qamtatz qatan -- qamatz gadol thing.

I just didn't spend that much brain effort on what was supposed to be
humorous transliteration.

Micha Berger             I have great faith in optimism as a philosophy,
micha at aishdas.org        if only because it offers us the opportunity of
http://www.aishdas.org   self-fulfilling prophecy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Arthur C. Clarke