[Mesorah] shuruq pronounced like chiriq

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Jun 23 08:42:43 PDT 2013

Not to be too curmudgeonly, but is is important to remember that this was not a Hebrew-specific sound change, but a sound change affecting the spoken language, i.e. Yiddish. The sound change affected not "qomatz" but rather the "aw" vowel. The Hebrew qomatz had long before ceased being realized as "aw" in an unaccented position and thus was not affected by the sound change, but remained in hiding as a variant of the schwa vowel in Yiddish. Phonologists can easily hear this variant in European Yiddish and Hebrew.
There, I hope that that sufficiently confuses the issue :-)

Rabbi Seth Mandel
Sent from my iPhone