[Mesorah] Tizku vs Tizki

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jun 21 02:41:50 PDT 2013

Aside from the fact that in the Galicianisher *havarah* the feminine
singular and the plural are homophones....

There is also the question of adapting the accepted coinage for the
singular when speaking to one person. "*Leshanah tovah teikhaseiv*" or "*
teikhaseivu*"? "*HaMaqom* *yenacheim osekha*/-*akh*" or "*eskhem*" and if
all the *aveilim* are women, should it be "*eskhen*"? (The latter has other
arguments for staying in the plural; the *baqashah* might also include *
nechamah* for the *niftar*'s *neshamah*, meaning there is always at least
two being referred to.) AFAIK, everyone says "*shalom aleikhem*" even to
one person, but the gemara's discussion of *tokh kedei dibur* has "*shalom
alekha rebbe *[*umori*]."

Similarly here. The coinage is usually quoted in the plural, "*tizku
lemitzvos*". Does one stick with the coinage, or customize the *diqduq* for
the recipient?

Personally, I go with the latter, for two reasons:

1- My natural tendency not to conform.

2- I prefer actions that provoke thought. Someone surprised to hear "*tiskeh/i
lemitzvos*" is likely to pause and register what the words mean. Rather
than just an empty greeting ritual. How seriously does *shamayim* take a *
berakhah* rattled off ritually with no *kavanah* content?

--
*Shetir'u Batov*!

Micha Berger             You cannot propel yourself forward
micha at aishdas.org        by patting yourself on the back.
http://www.aishdas.org                   -Anonymous
Fax: (270) 514-1507