[Mesorah] L'Sakkein Olam

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Fri Jul 5 04:55:32 PDT 2013

As I noted, Teimanim are reprobates and do not say tikkanta Shabbat in Musaf.
However, my senior R. David is misleading when the says Teimanim do not say ‘olenu l'shabbeah.  He means they do not say it most days of the year.  Everyone agrees, even those who say it several times a day, that it is originally part of malkhiyos, said on RhS and YhK of Yovel.  And the Teimanim say it in Malkhiyos with a kaf.  And that is where you will find it in R. S‘adyah Gaon and R. ‘Amram Gaon, in the Musaf of RhS, not part of everyday t'fillot.
One cannot take Chasidish siddurim, not even Chabad, as evidence for any old nusach.  All the old Ashk'naz mss. have tikkanta with a kaf to the best of my knowledge.  And even the Ari, who is responsible for the S'faradim saying tikkanta Shabbos, had it with a kaf, according to R. Chayim Vital.  Since there is no mss. evidence that I am aware of that has a qof, any siddur with a qof must be a change by a grammarian who did not understand the kaf.  The Chabad siddur is full of hypergrammatical "corrections," as others have noted, most of which did not originate with the Alter Rebbe but with the publisher.
Indeed, the root with a kaf is not so common nowadays.  But it is firmly established in Hebrew.  Our ancestors in Egypt had to fill the "matkonet l'venim," not a "matqonet."
But that is my arrangement with R. David Bannett.  He has graciously agreed normally to leave me a place for my 1.5 cents.  Otherwise, I would have nothing to add and nothing to write about.  A result devoutly to be wished for most probably.  So those tired of my nitpicking can just tell R. David not to leave me gleanings in the field.

Seth Mandel