[Mesorah] S. Baer on Shelo Assani Nochri

R. Rich Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:05:31 PDT 2012

«(e.g. RWW: This sounds like a good idea! It's new! I like it! Let's do it! »

Not at all! I don't like the newness of it.

I'm asking given that someone did itn when do we roll back

My agenda is twofold

1. People tend to make things miSinai when they're actually highly disputed or fuzy.

2. Here's what I LIKE about Nochri and it's a bit long winded but

GOY can be a perjoratice
Nochri is more dignified

A we don't need to add a perjorative and muck up our relationship with Gentiles

B. If shelo assnai GOY is said with a Mental. "FEH" then perhaps the same feeling is conveyed to shelo assani ishah too.

If Nochri diminishes the first FEH, then I'm happy if it diminshes the FEH in the 3rd b'rachah

But if this proposed change came to me TODAY, I would oppose the change with feelings quite similar to REMT.  The difference is that it is out there already, v'ein kahn m'qomo.

Shalom and Regards, RRW