[Mesorah] S. Baer on Shelo Assani Nochri

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Mon Mar 19 06:54:09 PDT 2012

RRW: <<< Also Question 2 was - is there a Halachic precedent to change the Nusach of a b'rachah so as to avoid ambiguity?   And I've seen o takers so far >>>

I imagine that it would be difficult to come up with a clear answer for this, and the reason why is that it involves two very debatable points: (1) Establishing that the nusach of a bracha really did get deliberately changed, and (2) That the reason for this change was to avoid ambiguity.

I suggest that quicker results might be achieved by dropping the second point, and simply looking for a case where the nusach of a bracha really did get deliberately changed. But I predict that this too will be difficult or impossible, as there will always be those who claim "that's not a change - it's a restoration of the original."

Can anyone think of a bracha which really was deliberately changed? The only examples I can think of are either universally ignored (like Rosenfeld's rewriting of Nacheim) or are limited to unusual circumstances (like one who ate on a taanis, to say Aneinu with the words "b'yom tzom hataanis hazeh" instead of "b'yom tzom taaniseinu").

Akiva Miller