[Mesorah] S. Baer on Shelo Assani Nochri

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Mon Mar 19 03:41:58 PDT 2012

RMB: <<< ... secular academics seem to agree that "goy" didn't refer to an individual until well after chazal. Chazal may refer to BY and the goyim, rather than the other goyim, so that goy means a non-Jewish nation, but there appears to be consensus (as far as Google is showing me) that it didn't yet mean a single non-Jew. >>>

Is it possible that this use of "goy" is actually a Yiddishism which then got absorbed into rabbinic Hebrew?

If so, then it is difficult for me to imagine that this occurred sufficiently far back for "goy" to have been the original text of the bracha.

Akiva Miller