[Mesorah] Davening: Pesach vs. Hag Hammatzos

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Mar 15 15:47:05 PDT 2012

RRW wrote:

> Probably was quite fluid
> And I think the baalei dikduk wanted to firm it up with some standards
> They probably felt things got "sloppy" along the way
> That doesn't mean every fix was a good idea

What I'm wondering is if ANY fix was a good idea.

If the "baalei dikduk" had conflicting texts for the same tefila, and they wanted to standardize it (as the Baalei Mesorah did), then their intentions were good, even if we'd disagree about their decisions.

But if they saw some tefilos using Lashon Tanach and others using Lashon Chazal, what gave them the right to standardize *that*? Why not allow each tefilla to keep its own dialect? Is that not motzi laaz al harishonim?

Akiva Miller