[Mesorah] V'lokachas Vayeitzei 30:15

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Mar 13 13:10:30 PDT 2012

On 13/03/2012 12:26 PM, Mandel, Seth wrote:
> Regarding the actual girsa in Onklos, the one printed in chumashim is unreliable for almost anything.

Once in high school the teacher did an exercise to demonstrate this
point to us.  He picked a pasuk and had one boy read the targum for it
aloud, while the rest of us followed along.  Then he had the next boy
read the same pasuk's targum, and so on until each of us had read it
while the rest of us.  Sounds boring, right?  If all the chumashim had
agreed, then it would have been.  But with at least half a dozen
different chumashim in use among us, we could each easily see that what
the targum said depended heavily on the random choice of which chumash
we happened to be using.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion