[Mesorah] V'lokachas Vayeitzei 30:15

R. Rich Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 09:50:16 PDT 2012

R Ben is correct that one cannot trust even Onkelos, who tries to be literal, not to alter the form if it will be more idiomatic.

Rabbi Seth Mandel»

The Teimani is more reliable, since they read it every Shabbos, and it has the infinitive, just as RaShY did.

Rabbi Seth Mandel»

I have a mimah nafshach question

Is Onkelos's use of the infinitive definitive? Or for the most part regardless of how he translated it, we cannot be certain of the orginal anyway!

EG Virtually all non-Jewish translators ignore the infinitive.  I'm curious as to the Septuagint's take.  I saw the Latin Vulgate but I DECLINED to get involved with its grammatical Minutia. :-).

Shalom and Regards, RRW