[Mesorah] New Shtick

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Feb 26 14:38:25 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 07:27:34PM +0000, R. Rich Wolpoe wrote:
:> Nusach evolves, that's what it does. .»
:
: OK so what's wrong of Hanau Heidenheim and Baer evolve the dikduk?  What's wrong with gashem over Geshem or shelo assani nochri over shelo assani goy or even she'assani yisroel?

Nothing.

: What's wrong with Birkas hamminim omitting minnim? Or aleinu omitting sheheim mishtachavim?

Well, birkhas haminim may not be minhag, the nusach was the product of
a Sanhedrin. There it's more like pesaq.

: Why did GRA painstakingly try to roll back revisions? [It's quite similar in intention to R Hofmeister from what I can tell]

Saying that revision isn't a bad thing doesn't mean there are no other
issues on the table. Why are they revising? Is the new actually improved,
or just the insertion of a mistake?

I don't think because he had anything against revisions. Rather, he liked
the other version on the merits of the case.

The conversion to "corrected" diqduq when the standard nusach wasn't really
wrong, just misunderstood ("she'atah") may not violate the norms of nusach
evolving, but of no value simply because it's based in error.

Micha Berger             If you're going through hell
micha at aishdas.org        keep going.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Winston Churchill
Fax: (270) 514-1507