[Mesorah] She'ata / Sha'ata

Danny Levy danestlev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:53:32 PST 2012

I think that it's the Bochur Hazetzer who's to blame for attributing the
ungrammatical ush'vachacha to the Gra, an expert grammarian.

RCV's hassaga was on the Gra's reportedly saying "ush'vachecha b'yud
uv'segol", i.e. in the plural, which cannot be, he writes, because the verb
"lo yamush" is singular.  RCV writes that he listened carefully and heard
that the "peh kadosh" said "------ without a yud and with a chataf-patach".
 "------" is printed as "ush'vachacha" because the Bochur Hazetzer who
added the nikkud understood that he should only remove the yud of
ush'vachecha and change the segol to a chataf patach.  But "v'shivchacha"
fits into "-------" just as well and is of course what RCV meant and what
he heard the Gra to have said.

Danny Levy