[Mesorah] She'ata / Sha'ata

R. Rich Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 09:09:44 PST 2012

I believe it's the contention of the Gra that the root word should be shevacha, rather than shevach.  The possessive versions follow.

Gershon»

R Chaim Volozhoner has 2 hassagos on Maaseh Rav.  This is one. The other is re:  Zecher.

So How did the GRA himself hold? I'm not sure.  But  imho this case has a documented rei'usah, and it's possible that we are not even sure how he really held.

Im kein imho, ein safeik motzi midei vadday.

But if you have this as your Minhag already, then keep it.  My objection is only to evangelizing it to others.

Shalom and Regards, RRW