[Mesorah] She'ata / Sha'ata

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 09:52:29 PST 2012

In a message dated 2/21/2012 12:20:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com writes:

RTK

«but I will say that my impression is that "lach"  (when addressing a male
or specifically when addressing Hashem) is influenced  by Aramaic, »

So mah nafshach

why not say v'lach noeh l'hodos,

Also

Ki vach botochnu?

-------------------

It  gets worse. Hanau revised the nikkud. Why did he leave THESE untouched?
What  was he thinking?

Shalom and Regards, RRW

I think it's arbitrary and there isn't a "reason."  A person might use  a
Yiddish, a Hebrew or an English word interchangeably, just because.

The reason, if there is one, may be poetic rather than  grammatical.  At
the end of  a phrase or sentence a  one-syllable word like lach just sounds
better, whereas in the  middle of a sentence, "lecha na'eh" and "vecha
batachnu"  are easier to say and easier on the ear than "lach na'eh" or "vach
batachnu" --  the two latter cases require a slight pause between two consonants,
interrupting  the smooth flow of sound.  A pattern of consonant vowel
consonant vowel is  more pleasing to the ear and easier on the tongue than a
pattern in which one  word ends in a consonant and the next begins with a
consonant.  Hence vecha  batachnu is more pleasing than vach batachnu.

But at the end of a phrase or a sentence where this a pause  anyway, it
doesn't matter whether the last syllable of the phrase ends in a  consonant or
a vowel, so "mi domeh lach" is just as good as "mi domeh lecha"  poetically
-- and maybe even better, because ending with a consonant "closes"  the line
and implies finality  (i.e., this phrase or this sentence is  definitely
finished).

Why Hanau or any redactor would change something or leave it alone -- I
don't know.

--Toby  Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair