[Mesorah] She'ata / Sha'ata

R. Rich Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:04:40 PST 2012

«
I think it's arbitrary and there isn't a "reason."  »

I don't agree

B'pasthus loch appears at the end of a phrase - viz. A pausal form

V'cha and ulcha in the middle of the phrase.

Mystery solved!

It's certainly possible so say that various forms of davening evolved in an  unscientific way. It's MUCH a bigger stretch to say that EG Hanau, Heidenheim, Baer, Birnbaum [HHBB] all missed this.

EG Heidenheim's Tanach Points a hataf patach under the Reish in Bara"chu
But removes it from his siddur

Baer disputes this inconsistency and restores it.
Minhag Frankfort and KAJ follow Baer on this one, which means someone in their M'sorah sided with Baer on this matter.

I don't think these daykannim missed very much.

Shalom and Regards, RRW