[Mesorah] am vs. am

Hayyim Obadyah HayyimObadyah at aol.com
Tue May 17 17:36:07 PDT 2011

the word is spelled with páthaḥ.
note that Esther 3:8 has a masoretic note in BHS: "17 times and every zāqēph, ʼathnaḥ, and sôph-pāsûq is the same". The masora magna lists

Num 23:9		Num 23:24		Deut 4:33
Judg 9:36		Judg 9:37		II Kgs 13:7
II Kgs 15:10	Is 42:6		Ezek 33:31
Joel 2:16		Ps 18:44		Ps 62:9
Ps 72:4		Job 34:20		Prov 14:28
Est 3:8		I Chron 17:21

In other words, the rule is that the word is spelled with páthaḥ except that it is spelled with qāmeṣ after the maphsiqim zāqēph, ʼathnaḥ, and sôph-pāsûq; and the exceptions (where it is spelled with qāmeṣ but not with one of those 3 maphsiqim) are in the 17 verses mentioned.