[Mesorah] am vs. am

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Tue May 17 10:36:48 PDT 2011

When I pull Machon Mamre on my screen here at work, I don't see the trop.

Nevertheless, I might point out that _sometimes_ a vowel will change, not
because of mafsik -- but if it ends on certain mafsikim *and* if the
phrase is exactly three words.

E.g., Kol/Kawl (all as noun/all as adjective) has that kind of exception.
So, for example, while the pasuk should end with "kawl y'mei hayecha" (as
it is an adjective), it reads "kol y'mei hayecha", because it ends on a
certain mafsik, and there are exactly three words in that phrase.

The three mafsikim are esnachta, siluk, zakef, and revia.

I would note that the kol/kawl rule is simlar (same?) as es/eis.  What
would normally be an "es" turns into an "eis" when there are exactly three
words to the phrase and ends on esnachta, siluk, zakef, and revia.

(And, of course, there are exceptions to this, too).

-- Sholom