[Mesorah] chiriq chaseir vs. malei (was "Re: malei de malei rule?")

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Tue Jan 12 07:41:27 PST 2010

> I'm wondering if any of this reflects on the authenticity of rules of
havarah... Or if they prove RSMandel's thesis that imei hamiqra don't
modify the vowel... <
RSM's thesis may be valid, but I don't see how the presence or lack of
imei haq'riyah (and, IINM, I think the issue is mainly if not solely in
regard to a chiriq) proves it -- rather, one could posit a relationship
between the presence (or lack) of _stress_ and the syllable which could be
chaseir (and, tangentially, that leads into the dispute of segol vs.
tzeireh for words like "y'rache[i]f" [Dt 32:11]).  Take just one parashah
from this week's sedra (Ex 8, 12-15): (a) "hachartumim" is spelled both
malei and chaseir, and like "tzitzis," I would suggest the word's last
syllable should always be pronounced as if it was malei, but I say that
because it's mil'ra & the possible chaseir is in that syllable, not
because the chiriq (whether chaseir or malei) is always pronounced the
same; (b) the last syllable of "hakinim" is spelled malei, possibly to
differentiate it from "hakinam," and once we see that, the last syllable
of "l'chinim" should, I suggest, also be pronounced as if it was malei
(same reasoning as in the first case).

All the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA