[Mesorah] malei de malei rule?

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Fri Jan 8 07:44:46 PST 2010

RDB replied:
> some samples with 2 "amot kria" including some examples with 2 of the
same
"em kria" <
Limiting myself to quoting the example of two-syllable plural _nouns_ as
per my previous Mesorah response...

> 2)tovot  with 2 vavs -- Massora Gedola Breshit 41:26 / dvarim 6:10 Tovot
dalet (4) chaser d'chaser u'bet(2) melaim de'melaim ve'shaara tvot ktiv
(chaser d'malei) <
In Gn 41:26, "hatovos" twice is chaseir-chaseir; in Dt 6:10, "v'tovos" (as
well as "g'dolos") is chaseir-chaseir.  My Miqraos G'dolos's M'sorah for
the former pair says "hatovos: daled (i.e. four instances), beis chaseir
d'chaseir bliy' (twice chaseir-chaseir; what is "bliy'"?); hatovos:
chaseir d'chaseir"; for the latter instance, it says "g'dolos: chaseir
d'chaseir; v'tovos: daled chaseir d'chaseir."  According to Machon Mamre's
search engine, "hatovos" appears twice in one other location, Yirmiyahu
24, but I don't have a NaCH in the office to check the k'siv and can't
trust Mechon Mamre's reproduction (which I know turns chaseirim in Chumash
into m'lei-im), not to mention that the theory of R'Micha/RAM may be
limited to Torah and not include NaCH.  As for "v'tovos," it's
chaseir-malei in Gn 41:5 (which R'Micha theorized privately may not occur;
note in that same verse the malei-malei "b'riy-os," a definite
counter-example to the theory!) and in Gn 41:22 (where "m'leios" is
chaseir-chaseir).  As for "tovos," it's chaseir-chaseir in Gn 6:2; someone
else may want to check the other instances (M'lachim Beis 25; Yirmiyahu
12, 24, and 52; and Estheir 2).

> I agree with the general impression thta the tendency of the tanach is
spell not completely malei, as you see in later hebrew such as Dead Sea
Scrolls time where they use much more malei. <
Perhaps the "no malei-malei for two-syllable plural nouns" theory is
limited to when the same vowel occurs twice?

A guten Shabbes/Shabbas Shalom and all the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA