[Mesorah] malei de malei rule?

Dov Bloom dovb at netvision.net.il
Fri Jan 8 01:21:22 PST 2010

I doubt there is a accurate rule on this. There are many words that are
"malei d'malei"

some samples with 2 "amot kria" including some examples with 2 of the same
"em kria"

1) yoducha -- breshit 49:8 Massora Gedola  kulhon malei be'train vavin bar
min had haser vav tinyana (all instances with 2 vavs except 1..)

2)tovot  with 2 vavs -- Massora Gedola Breshit 41:26 / dvarim 6:10  Tovot
dalet (4) chaser d'chaser u'bet(2) melaim de'melaim ve'shaara tvot ktiv
(chaser d'malei)

4) lehodot -- (mesora sofit letters yud dalet) dalet malei belishana spelled
with 2 vavs

3) vetovim -- melachim alef 2:32 MG bet malei ve'alepf haser - tovim is
written with a vav and a yud

5) yod'im -- see minhat shai esther 4:11 messora sofit (letters yud dalet
#53) dalet malei (spelled with a vav and a yud befor the mem)

This was from perusal of a couple of pages at random in the middle of the
Messora Gedola on letters tet-yud.

I agree with the general impression thta the tendency of the tanach is to
spell not completely malei, as you see in later hebrew such as Dead Sea
Scrolls time where they use much more malei.

DB the younger