[Mesorah] another grammar question

Danny Levy danestlev at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 13:03:43 PDT 2010

Indeed there appear to be different girsaos of Onkelos for l'meis in this
posuk.  An old Mikraos G'dolos I have published by Levin Epstein and the
Chumash Ha'amek Dovor both have "al mis" while others I looked at have
"l'mis".  From the meforshim it would seem that "al mis" (for a dead person)
would be more appropriate here.

Either way, WADR to R' Michael, I don't think that this can be used to prove
that the prefixes lo- and l'- have different meanings.  Throughout Tanach
the lamed prefix is used for both 'to' and 'for'.  To claim that they are
differentiated in Hebrew is a chiddush that requires considerably more
support than a single questionable girsoh in Onkelos.
Gut Voch,

Danny