[Mesorah] another grammar question

Poppers, Michael MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Fri Aug 27 07:05:47 PDT 2010

> I am puzzled by your message, R' Michael.  Onkelos translates lomeis in 5-14:1 as "al mis", exactly as he does for l'meis in 5-26:14. <

The Miqraos G'dolos in my office translates "l'meis" as "l'mis," not "al mis."

> My knowledge of Aramaic is not great but does that not mean "for a dead person"? <

I would go with that as a translation for "al mis," yes.  Quite different from "l'mis."

> To me it seems that Onkelos supports my answer that both l'meis and lomeis mean the same. <

I look forward to a learned discussion of girsaos b'Onqelos :).

A gut'n Shabbos/Shabbas Shalom
and all the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA